Jobs at Ford Castle
For the first time ever, PGL has a castle! Welcome to Ford Castle...
Located in the heart of the Northumberland countryside, this Medieval English castle is steeped in history and offers a truly unique setting and a working experience in the most amazing scenery, close to the Scottish border.
Ford Castle dates from the 14th century and is located 12 miles from Berwick Upon Tweed. The castle is brand new to PGL in 2022 so this is an amazing opportunity to work with a brand new team at an incredible location!
Staff facilities at Ford Castle include:
- Staff social areas
- Laundry facilities
- Wi-Fi available in communal areas
- Axe Throwing
- Jacobs Ladder
- Problem Solving
- Vertical Challenge
- Zip Wire
- Bridge Abseiling
- Raft Building (on the River Till)
- Crag Climbing
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding
- Challenge Course
Ford is a small village in Northumberland, England, about 12 miles from Berwick-upon-Tweed and from the rugged Northumberland coast, including Cocklawburn beach (pictured). Northumberland is area rich in history and places to explore. In additional to Ford Castle, there are nine castles in the region! In addition, the world famous Hadrian’s Wall dips and weaves through the Northumberland National Park. The Park covers an area of more than 1,050 square kilometres and is one of the least populated National Parks in England. The area has lots of attractions including Kielder Observatory, The Alwick Garden, Lindisfarne Priory, a Roman Army museum, the Northumberland Coast AONB, and lots, lots more!
Ford Castle is a Grade I listed building situated at a shallow crossing point on the River Till.
- The castle dates from about 1278 but was captured by the Scots in 1385 and dismantled.
- By the beginning of the 16th century it had been rebuilt and refortified, and was taken by James IV of Scotland on the eve of the Battle of Flodden in 1513.
- In the last 200 years the castle has undergone a series of restorations, including in the late 19th Century when Lady Louisa Waterford set about modernising the castle to create a comfortable residence.
- During the Second World War, Ford Castle was used as a hospital.
- In the last 60 years the castle as operated as an outdoor actvity centre.
Key PGL Facts
Need more convincing to apply? Surely not, but if so – here are a few ‘must know’ key facts:
- we employ over 3,000 people every year
- over 400,000 guests visit a PGL centre every year
- we are experienced! We have been providing activity holidays since 1957, more than 60 years!
- we have the most competitive staff package
- we are the employer of choice within the outdoor activity industry!